Monday, June 7, 2010

24 & 25 weeks

Sorry this has turned into such a pregnancy blog.  It's a little selfish of me, because we are only on this adventure because of Zach's job.  I'll try and fill you in a little bit on what's going on in his world.  Frankly, I understand about 1/2 of what's going on (this is really my first experience with military life), and I'm still trying to learn the "language."  And, yes, there is a special language you have to learn to understand the job of a Marine. is a quick Zach update and when things slow down for him maybe he will get on here and explain it better than I can.

This past week and this week are Rifle Range Weeks.  As far as I can tell it's two very difficult weeks for families.  Zach's day goes a little something like this: we both get up around 3am (I eat a bowl of cereal and have a glass of soy milk while Zach gets ready for the day).  He's out the door by 3:30ish and I head back to bed.  I try not to tell Zach what time I actually get up for the day (but if y'all must know:  I usually get back to sleep around 4am and wake up between 9am and 10am).  In my defense, for some reason these are the hours that Dax likes to sleep - making it so much better for my sleep.  He apparently likes to play between the hours of 11pm and 2am.  Once Zach gets to base he has to eat "chow" with the other guys before hiking 3miles out to the rifle range. The spend all day shooting rifles and pistols. Sorry I don't know more detail than that.  I couldn't tell you what kind of guns or any specifics.  I'm just not a gun person.  So Zach is out there all day in the hot, humid Virginia weather (if you're wondering where I am during all of this - I'm most likely by the pool).  I's so unfair!  At the end of the day they hike back the 3miles, do some cleaning, eat dinner, and wait to be released.  Zach gets home between 7 and 9pm.  You heard me right!!!  That's a 16 - 18 hour day.  When Zach gets home he usually doesn't last more than an hour before he is in bed.  A week from today the rifle range qualifications will be over and I cannot wait.  Zach really enjoys it despite how long the days have been.

Enough about Zach.  More about me and Daxton! ;-) ha!

In the 24th week I noticed for the first time having problems sleeping due to Dax's movement - Daxton would be up most of the night.  Sleeping has been difficult for awhile now, because I'm not a fan of sleeping on my side all the time.  Little did I know that it would get worse as soon as Daxton was big enough to start soccer practice in there!  Here I am with the future David Beckham at 24 weeks.
My favorite thing about week 24 was setting up Daxton's crib.  Grandma and Grandpa Avery got us our first piece for the nursery.  Here we are setting it up!
I'm sure I'm giving very helpful directions. I'm a good helper! ;-)

Here is the proud daddy with the finished product.

We sat in the nursery for awhile looking at the crib in disbelief!  This is happening!  I, of course, cried while I told Zach how this is the very beginning of him having to assemble different things for Daxton and any other future Herbert children.  I see a lot of Christmas Eves and birthdays in our future that require Zach to put together things with small pieces!

Sorry this is such a long post, but here is the 25 week update:

Not much to report for the 25th week except for that I cannot believe we only have 15 weeks left!! I did have my glucose test this week which was not very fun.  I also found out this week that the doctor that I fell in love with (she's from California & fully supports my birthing method because her daughter is doing it) is taking a leave of absence for an undetermined amount of time.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's on leave because her daughter is giving birth, but for the life of me I cannot remember when she said her daughter was due.  Chances are good that's what it is, because I saw this doctor for the first time in April and I knew her daughter was due sometime between then and my due date.  There are a lot of other great doctors available to me, but they just aren't as familiar with my birthing method.  

This weekend I finally wised up and bought some slip on shoes!  I don't even care what anyone thinks.  These shoes are comfortable and I don't have to bend to put them on - that sounds like a win/win to me!

Thank you, Target!!


Tom and Mira Ehrlich said...

I remember not being able to reach my feet. It gets better. Flip flops are great!!! I also remember not being able to sleep, but that gets better too, it also is preparing you for when he comes. It sounds like you are doing really well. Glad to see you are having a good summer so far.


Jessica said...

It does sound like you are doing great! I love the crib.. we still don't have ours yet.. eeek! Grandma is shipping it to us, so hopefully in the next two weeks.

What birthing method are you going with if you don't mind sharing? I know it's personal, so if not, I totally understand!

You look awesome!

Jen said...

I don't mind sharing at all!!! I'm doing Hypnobirthing. I've been meaning to do a post about it. Hoping to get around to it soon. Do you have a specific birthing plan that you're following?

Cara said...

You are just absolutely precious. I can just see you guys sitting in the nursery. I want to be there to lounge in the pool with you! I just may have to come visit in July or August while Carl is backpacking. :) Keep posting! It's always good to hear what's going on with you guys! MISS YOU!

EVA said...

exciting, congratulations on ur pregnancy :)

. rebecca jane . said...

You have the cutest belly!!

Blessing said...

Congrats on the baby dear. I am also a new military wife. Now following your blog!!! Hubby is currently at Basic Training and then off to Officer Candidate School. Following you now -:)

Musings Of An Army Wife