Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Weekend

We had an amazing Father's Day Weekend.  But first, I have to tell you a reason why I love military life.  If I were to be honest...I really don't like a lot of things about being a military wife, but there are some great things about it! On Saturday, one of Zach's co-workers came by with his family (wife and two kids) to bring us some baby stuff they no longer use.  They were an amazing family and we were blown away by their generosity.  They brought us a jogging stroller, an umbrella stroller, a pack-n-play, one of those little infant baby seats that vibrates, and a wagon full of Lego blocks for Daxton!  As if that weren't enough they also got us a cute gift basket for Aleah full of fun goodies for her.  I think I also mentioned that we got a crib, crib mattress, baby girl clothes, and a ton of maternity clothes from a neighbor and they also have a military background.  So even the people I don't know very well treat you like you are family.  They understand a lot about you before they even get to know you just because of the military background!

On Sunday, we celebrated Zach!  He is an amazing father.  I can't tell you how much it thrills my heart to see him playing with our son.  You should see the way Daxton's face lights up when Zach gets home from work.  We started the day by making Zach breakfast (homemade biscuits, eggs, and bacon). We got Zach an oar/paddle (not sure what you call it) for Zach's kayak.  So Zach went for a 5-mile kayak trip.  This has become a new love of Zach's since we moved to North Carolina.  We just chilled most of the afternoon.  Zach likes to joke that on Father's Day he had to change a dirty diaper and put child locks on the kitchen cabinets.  I guess it comes with the territory when you have a 9 month old.  The reason why the child locks had to go on this weekend.......I went to go get a hair tie from my bathroom and when I came back Daxton was no where to be found.  It took me awhile, but this is where I found him.

That night our plans were to grill steaks for dinner.  It kept raining off and on so we decided to go to a local steakhouse that we had never tried before.  After all, it was a steakhouse so they must do steaks right. WRONG!!  We waited for 20 min even though there were a ton of open tables and only 3 parties in ahead of us.  I was already a little turned off by the place because they had a salad bar.  I know, I know......I'm weird.  I could point out that during our wait I noticed the 10 year old boy that was stocking the salad bar left the ham sitting out on the hostess table AND he sneezed all over the cucumbers while he was putting them away. YUCK! I hate all buffets except for pizza buffets for some reason.  During our wait we set outside in the rocking chairs (which are pretty much everywhere you go in North Carolina). 

I love these boys!

On with the story:  We finally get seated and I quickly notice that the hostess is also a waitress, she's cleaning tables, and restocking the salad bar. The hostess takes our drink order because no one has come to our table to help us.  We have plenty of time to look over the menu which consists of about 8 steaks and 5 other menu items (chicken, pork, and 3 fish options). Finally, an older gentleman walks up to our table.  He introduces himself as the owner/cook/and waiter.  Not kidding! He tells us that there is a small problem.  What would that "small" problem be?  Oh yeah....the problem is that they have run out of steak....at a steakhouse......on Father's Day.  By this time, the whole situation is just a little hilarious to us.  I sweetly tell the man that it's no problem.  We'll just come back another time.  He looks at me like I'm completely nuts!  He says, "But we have a great salad bar."  Ummmmmm.......wrong selling point.  I start to get a little more short with the man because I think it's completely fine that I want to leave a steakhouse that doesn't have steak, and come back another time when they do have steak.  Right?  I say to him, "Look. It's Father's Day and my husband wanted a steak for Father's Day.  I think we will go somewhere that can provide that. We'll take our check please."  He huffs away. There are so many things wrong with this whole situation. Any normal business would have warned the 10 people that were waiting that they were going to run out of steak, OR they would have offered an incentive to come back again (gift certificate), OR they would have not made us pay the $3.75 for our drinks!!!  Yes.....they still made us pay for our drinks.  But, everything turned out fine.  When we left the restaurant the weather had cleared up a little bit so we ended up grilling out anyway.  Here's the spread.  A total man meal, complete with french fries and a Blue Moon with orange slice.


After dinner we watched a movie together.  I love them!

I will leave you with this little gem.  Daxton has decided this week that he does not like any green food.  Lovely.

No comments: