Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cloth Diapers and Hypnobirthing

I have received a ton of questions regarding my decision to use cloth diapers and also my choice of birthing method.

Let's talk cloth diapers.  Reasons why I want to use cloth diapers:
1. Better for the environment. Did you know that the average child uses between 6 and 8 THOUSAND diapers?!  
2. The cost.  With the average child using that many diapers the cost is exponential.  Cloth diapers have come a long way in the last decade.  Most cloth diaper options can be used from birth until they're potty trained.  Then, consider the fact that you can even reuse them for the next child!
3.  Better for the baby.  The toxic chemicals used in diapers cause diaper rash and other problems for the baby.
4. Cloth diapers are super cute!  I want these or these.

There are many more reasons why I want to use them, but those cover the big ones. There are numerous articles on the subject - this one  gets to the point quickly.

This leads me to why I'm the nutty woman that wants to birth my child naturally (without drugs and little assistance from doctors/nurses).  I have decided to do hypnobirthing.  The biggest question I get is people wondering if I'm going to be hypnotized.  The answer is no - I will not be hypnotized.  It's self relaxation.  It will basically look like this:  when we get to the hospital I will have no drugs, no machine hook-ups, the lights will be dimmed, we'll have soothing music playing and I want the freedom to move around and birth my child as I please.  If anyone has been to a yoga class I equate the mindset of hypnobirthing to that of the last segment of a yoga class - when you are coached into a relaxed state through breathing and meditation.   Here is more information on hypnobirthing.  Now, I know I'm going to get some feedback on this.  Some will be positive and I'm expecting negative feedback as well.  I've received both.   Before you start in on me - please know that I do realize that this is my first baby and I, of course, do not understand fully what giving birth will feel like.  I get that!  But, this is my plan.  I'm prepared for the fact that births don't always go according to plan.  I fully intend to keep this plan unless it becomes a medical emergency and I have to alter the birth.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you for posting this! I'm going to check out that article on cloth diapers when I'm done commenting.
I hope you read my post from yesterday about people weighing in on your "mama" decisions. I mentioned in there that I am going the complete opposite birthing route that you are, but I'm not here by any means to bash your decision! In fact, I think it's very interesting.

You're right, we as first time moms have NO CLUE what we are getting ourselves into.. no matter what route we take! But I think it's great that you have such a clear vision of how you want it to go. I can't wait to hear your birth story (if you are planning on posting it) and TRUST ME... not to tell you "told you so" if it doesn't work your way (I really really hope that it does), but just to hear about your experience since it will be so different then mine.

I'm starting to get very excited! How about you?? I can't wait to meet our little guy!

Cara said...

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject recently! Both you and my friend Britni are doing unmedicated/natural birth. I LOVE your decision and I'm SO happy you've chosen this route. Can't wait to talk more about it! If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to check out "The Business of Being Born" on netflicks. It's an amazing documentary that has totally changed my view of giving birth.

Jen said...

Thanks for the feedback and comments, girls! I'm so ready for this little man to get here!!

Mira said...

Good luck!!! I hope that everything goes well. He will be here before you know it.

By the way, cute suit!!! I love Target!!!

Anonymous said...

Just have to say, GOOD for you! :) I used hypnosis with my last 2 births and it was great! I have gathered over 250 birth stories from other moms using hypnosis along with quite a few birth videos at www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com
Enjoy your birth!